Renew driving license in Sri Lanka
This post about the renewal of driving license in Sri Lanka. In 2019, Sri Lanka government was introduced a new driving license for all vehicle drivers in Sri Lanka. After that, every citizen should renew their license every 8 years. Follow these steps bellow
You have to bring the following documents for the renewal of driving license
- Current driving license.
- National Identity Card or a valid passport with the national identity card number.
- Medical Fitness certificate obtained from the Sri Lanka National Transport Institute within a period of six months.
You can take medical from following one of the branches –
Latest driving license renewal tips: Go really really early for the medical. I went to 08:30 and my medical took 5 hours!. Either do from another place then at RMB itll be about 3hrs. Light vehicle medical is rs. 800/-
How to renew Driving Licence / Sri Lanka
Extension of the driving license for heavy vehicles.
- Should be a holder of a license for light vehicles (only B and B1 vehicle classes) for a minimum of 2 years prior to the date of application.
- To obtain a license for light motor bus and motor lorry category the minimum height should be 4 feet 10 inches. A minimum height of 5 feet is required to obtain a license for Motor bus and motor lorry category.
- It is possible to register and face the written test on completion of 20 years of age.
- In the event of passing the written test, a learners’ permit is issued for a maximum period up to 18 months.
- A holder of such permit can practice driving.
- 21 years of age has to be completed to face the practical test and a minimum of 3 months should have passed since obtaining the learners’ permit.
- It is compulsory for the applicant to face the practical test and pass it.
- Aptitude Medical Certificate obtained from the National Transport Medical Institution within a period not exceeding 6 months
|New Driving License – one class of vehicles||1700.00|
|New Driving License – Two classes of vehicles||2000.00|
|New Driving License – Three or more classes of vehicles||2250.00|
|Reapplying for the written test||250.00|
|Reapplying for the practical test||500.00|
|Fine for delaying the extension of the period of validity of the driving license by 1 year||250.00|
|Inclusion of a new class of vehicles in the driving license||1700.00|
|Inclusion of 2 new classes of vehicles||2000.00|
|Inclusion of 3 new classes of vehicles||2250.00|
|Altering personal details of the driving license||250.00|
|Obtaining an extract (information sketch) of the driving license||500.00|
|Converting the driving license issued under the old system to the new system||1700.00|
|Issuance of a local driving license on a foreign driving license (for a Sri Lankan)||2500.00|
|For officials of the foreign diplomatic service||1700.00|
|Issuance of a local driving license on a foreign driving license (for a foreigner)||10000.00|
|Issuance of a temporary driving license for a period of one month, on a foreign driving license (for a foreign national)||1000.00|
|Issuance of a new driving license for a foreign national||15000.00|
|Additional charges for the one day service||500.00|
Price Last Updated on Friday, 04 March 2016