How to create a Sri Lankan Passport - General Informations In Sinhala
Sri Lankan passport is issued to Sri Lankan citizens for the purpose of international travel. The Department of Immigration and Emigration is responsible for issuing Sri Lankan passports. The Ordinary passports are valid for 10 years at the time of first issue. Here are the full gude of taking Ordinary passports in sinhala.
First of all, What are the Working Hours ?
- Normal Processing Applications – from 8.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
- Urgent Basis Applications – from 8.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. On week days only.
The office closes on weekends and Public Holidays.
Passport application/renewal process:
1. Collect a form from the information counter and fill up in English only. No need to pay Rs100 if you can fill the form your self.
2. Take photo if you haven’t, give your IC for information, pay Rs 250 to the cashier and connect the photo acknowledgement slip
3. Go to the main building, show your filled up form, ID/passport and take queue ticket (all countries – 2nd floor, middle east – 1st floor)
4. Wait at common waiting area until your queue number is displayed in the information TV screen.
5. Go to the counter, an officer will direct you to relevant area depending on urgent/normal service
6. Wait until your queue number called and Submit documents. Original documents will be kept.
7. Go to finger print record counter and record all 10 finger print data
8. Pay the fee ( urgent – Rs10000, normal – Rs3000)
9. Urgent service- wait and collect; normal service – original documents and passport will be posted to your address
I find it easier to take photo on-site. There are many eateries and drink stalls available.If you forget to get photos, to fill the form, and take a photocopies then dont worry, all can be done from INSIDE in the premises. No need to pay extra amount to outsider. All in one place
Documents required to be submitted along with the completed application form
- Photo studio acknowledgement
- Original Birth Certificate of the applicant with a photocopy.
- Original National Identity Card of the applicant with a photocopy
- Marriage certificate with a photocopy where it is necessary (To confirm the name after marriage)
- A professional certificate with a photocopy confirming your profession
Make sure every document is ready so that the process would be smooth. The staff expect you to be quick and ready so that no delays are caused
Where can I obtain the Sri Lankan Passport Application Form?
- The “K 35A” application should be used that has been amended to conform to the above requirements. (Instructions)
- Those application forms could be obtained from the Office of The Department, Regional Offices at Matara, Kandy, and Vavuniya. District Secretariat Offices, Divisional Secretariat Offices or from the website www.immigration.gov.lk.
- As the fingerprints have to be captured, all applicants have to come in person to the Head Office of the Department or regional Offices to submit their applications.
- If you are going to get a passport, goto their website and read the instructions. Fill the form given. Make sure there are no mistakes( specially spelling mistakes)
- Take all the documents as instructed
- Take the photos from a authorized studio before you go to the office, so that you have enough time get a early token number
- Go to the office in the morning (around 8am)
- Get a token
- Wait for your turn
- Don’t talk to any one other than the officials.
(You can finish everything within an hour if done correctly)
How to create a Sri Lankan Passport [Sinhala]
Children below 16 years of age will hereafter not be included in the Passports of their parents and separate passports must be obtained for them.