How to take Driving License for Foreigners in Sri Lanka
Eligibility Requirements for Driving License
The applicant having valid visa for more than 06 months period are eligible for applying a Sri Lankan driving license while other having a valid visa for less than six months will only be issued with a temperory driving license.
- Only lightweight vehicle driver license can be converted or can be exchanged to Sri Lankan driver license.
- The foreign driving license which is valid for the conversion date.
Required Documents for Procedure
- Letter of acknowledgment from the ministry of foreign affairs
- Filled application, that can be obtained from the driver license office.
- Valid Foreign driver license
- Valid Passport
- Medical Fitness Certificate
How to take Medical Fitness Certificate
- Address – National Transport Medical Institute, No . 170 High-Level Rd, Nugegoda
- Location In Google Map – https://goo.gl/maps/ifsxC7nvo9T2
Then you have to visit to Department of Motor Traffic with all the above documents.
- Google Map Location: https://goo.gl/maps/Ze82aXGKYrw
- Address: 341 Elvitigala Mawatha, Colombo 00500
For document submissions, All the applications should be directed to the assistant commissioner of the Licensing Division. The authorities in the driver license office will help you out. If the Driving license and the passport are not in English, the English translations of those two documents, done by a registered translator. The following link gives you information about International Driver License acceptance in various countries: International Driver Permit Recognition